We are seeking a PhD student to become part of the Bacterial Synthetic Biology section led by Professor Morten Sommer at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability – DTU Biosustain at the Technical University of Denmark.
The group studies the organization and dynamics of microbial communities as they relate to human health and industrial biotechnology. We develop and apply novel technologies within the fields of systems biology, computational biology, functional metagenomics, synthetic biology, lab evolution to study:
- Antibiotic resistance
- Metabolic engineering
- Phenotypic variation and stability
Responsibilities and tasks
The candidates shall work independently on the development of high impact research projects. Accordingly, a significant workload is expected in order to advance projects successfully.
The candidate shall deploy or develop state of the art technologies within bioinformatics and/or computational biology to study subjects of relevance to metabolic engineering.
The candidate will work in a team to develop their independent project, while also contributing to projects of other team members.
The candidate will be responsible for the execution of all aspects of the project including both experimental and computational tasks (support is available for all aspects from fellow lab members).
Expected starting date (flexible): September 2016
- Master degree in biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, bioengineering, microbiology or similar
- Laboratory experience with molecular biology or microbiology
- Strong work ethic and motivation to succeed within a competitive research field
- Team oriented personality and good ability to work well with others
- Early achievements documenting ability to innovate
- Strong ability for independent thinking
- Willingness to make their PhD research their main priority
Preference given to a candidate with experience in:
- Bioinformatic or computational capabilities
- High throughput screening
- Cloning and molecular biology
- Flow cytometry based analysis (preferably flow-seq)
- Next generation DNA sequencing and analysis
- Ability to write scripts in Matlab, R, perl, python or other language/platform
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD Guide.
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, public-sector consultancy and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. The Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and appointment terms
The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability – DTU Bisosustain is a DTU research and innovation center established in 2011 on par with the other departments at the DTU.
Today, DTU Biosustain is a multi-site operation with over 200 people associated and is still growing. About two thirds of the operations are currently housed at the current center premises in Scion-DTU, a science park in Hørsholm close to DTU Campus.
All center activities will in 2016 move to a new building placed on main campus in Lyngby specifically designed to meet the Center needs.
Further information may be obtained from Pr. Morten Sommer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply online as described below.
You can read more about the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability – DTU Biosustain on www.biosustain.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 28 July 2016. Apply online at www.career.dtu.dk.
Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here)
Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master’s degree, but cannot begin before having received it.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
To apply please visit website