Pakistan has no shortage of talented youth, but in several instances, lack of resources prevents them from realizing their potential. This is a particularly problematic when it comes to accessing higher education. The Government of Pakistan acknowledges these constraints, and has tasked the Higher Education Commission with facilitating needy and deserving students through Need Based Scholarships. This year, over 10,000 scholarships have been announced for financially disadvantaged students all over Pakistan including 61 public sector universities of Pakistan (list attached). It aims to elevate the socio-economic status of the students by enabling their access to modern education and career opportunities towards a brighter future.
- To provide opportunities to talented but financially disadvantaged students and empower them to acquire a high quality education at a partner institutions /university.
- To provide opportunities for qualified students especially from remote and rural areas of Pakistan (FATA, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Southern Punjab, Balochistan, and Northern Sindh), to continue their studies in selected partner universities of the country.
- Financial assistance & scholarships are available for study at Undergraduate and Graduate level in all disciplines at HEC selected public sector Pakistani universities and degree awarding institutions.
- Students need to compete for securing admission at the participating institution as per admission policy of the institution and be enrolled in Undergraduate (4 years) / Graduate (2 years) programs.
- Students in financial need who are already enrolled in participating institutions are also eligible to apply.
- The eligibility of a candidate is linked to his/her financial needs as assessed by the Institutional Scholarship Award Committee. The financial background of the family of the applicant will be kept in view in this regard.
- The number of Graduate and Undergraduate slots will be decided by the universities but weightage will be given to Undergraduate slots.
- Funding for Graduate and Undergraduate slots will continue for the complete duration of the program. In case any students drop out, they will be replaced by other candidates on the waiting list.
- All disciplines will be kept open. The selected university will decide whether to include or exclude any discipline keeping in view its grant, program cost, and number of allocated slots, etc.
- In the case of Medicine, Pharm-D and other five year programs, funding will be made available for the complete program.
- Considering the allocated grant, the university may adjust the total number of scholarships to an extent in order to cover the tuition fees.
- In addition to the tuition fee, every grantee will be paid Rs. 6000 stipend per month for the complete program.
The complete application should be sent to relevant Financial Aid Offices where the applicant intends to secure admission.
List of Eligible Universities/Degree Awarding Institutes
Azad Jammu and Kashmir
- University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir, Muzaffarabad
- Mirpur University of Science & Technology (MUST), Mirpur (AJK)
- University of Poonch, Rawalakot
- The Women University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir, Bagh
- University of Management Sciences and Information Technology, Kotli (AJK)
- University of Balochistan, Quetta
- Sardar Bahadur Khan Women University, Quetta
- University of Turbat, Turbat
- Baluchistan University of Engineering & Technology, Khuzdar
- Baluchistan University of Information Technology, Engineering and Management Sciences, Quetta
- Lasbela University of Agriculture Water & Marine Science, Uthal
Islamabad Federal Capital
- Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad
- International Islamic University, Islamabad
- National University of Modern Languages, Islamabad
- Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science & Technology, Islamabad-Karachi
- Air University, Islamabad
- National Defense University, Islamabad
- Bahria University, Islamabad
- COMSATS Institute of Information Tech., Islamabad
- Institute of Space Technology, Islamabad
- Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, Islamabad
Gilgit Baltistan (GB)
- Karakoram International University, Gilgit
- University of Peshawar, Peshawar
- Gomal University, Dera Ismail Khan
- Kohat University of Science & Technology, Kohat
- University of Malakand, Chakdara Dir
- Hazara University, Mansehra
- University of Science & Technology, Bannu
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Women University, Peshawar
- Islamia College University, Peshawar
- Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University, Sheringal, Upper Dir
- University of Swat, Swat
- University of Haripur, Haripur
- Bacha Khan University, Charsadda
- University of Swabi, Swabi
- KPK University of Agriculture, Peshawar
- KPK University of Engineering & Technology, Peshawar
- Khyber Medical University, Peshawar
- Institute of Management Sciences, Peshawar
- Khushaal Khan Khattak University, Karak
- University of the Punjab, Lahore
- Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan
- Islamia University, Bahawalpur
- Fatima Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi
- Government College University, Lahore
- Lahore College for Women University, Lahore
- Govt. College University, Faisalabad
- University of Sargodha, Sargodha
- University of Education, Lahore
- University of Gujrat, Gujrat
- GC Women University, Faisalabad
- The Women University, Multan
- Ghazi University, Dera Ghazi Khan
- Pakistan Institute of Fashion & Design, Lahore
- University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
- University of Arid Agri., Rawalpindi
- University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Lahore
- Muhammad Nawaz Sharif University of Agriculture, Multan
- University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore
- University of Engineering & Technology, Taxila
- National Textile University, Faisalabad
- University of Health Science, Lahore
- King Edward Medical University, Lahore
- Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore
- University of Karachi, Karachi
- University of Sindh, Jamshoro
- Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur
- Sindh Madrassatul Islam University, Karachi
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University, Benazirabad
- Benazir Bhutto Shaheed University, Liyari, Karachi
- Sindh Agriculture University, Tandojam
- NED University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi
- Mehran University of Engineering & Technology, Jamshoro
- Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering. & Technology, Nawabshah (Benazirabad)
- Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences, Jamshoro
- Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi
- People University of Medical Health Sciences For Women, Nawabshah (Benazirabad)
- Shaheed Muhtarma Benazir Bhutto Medical University, Larkana
- Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi
- Institute of Business Administration, Karachi
- Sukkur Institute of Business Administration, Sukkur
What does the scholarship cover?
The Needs Based Scholarship program covers funds for the following expenses:
- Tuition Fee
- Other Academics Costs
How to apply
Interested applicants can receive the Scholarship Application Form from the Financial Aid Office (FAO) at the participating University/Institution. The form can also be downloaded here.
The Scholarship Form will be submitted along with supporting documents to the same Financial Aid office (at university only) after completion. (HEC will not accept any application form directly)
Students need to secure admission to any one of the approved disciplines at the participating Universities/Institutions as per their admission criteria.
Please note that this scholarship program also considers partial scholarship for students already enrolled at the selected university/DAI.
Please note that under this scholarships scheme, the funds are not transferred directly to students by HEC. The payment is made to the students through participating universities/institutions.
To downlaod application forms please visit HEC website.