The TIK Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture invites applications to a four year temporary position as Associate Professor (SKO 1011) in Science & Technology Studies with an expected starting date in summer/fall 2016. The position will substitute one of our professors currently involved in an externally funded project.
The successful candidate will be expected to initiate and lead research within Science and Technology Studies (STS), to acquire external funding to research projects in this area, to supervise Ph.D. and MA candidates, to participate in teaching, exam work and evaluation at both levels, to carry out administrative work in accordance with the needs of the Centre, as well as contribute to the on-going work of building, sustaining and leading the Centre’s research and teaching environment.
The associate professor will be expected to participate in developing the Centre´s STS-research group “Science, Technology and Culture”. Science and technology are studied as cultural and material practices that are shaped by society and crucial in the production of social and political reality. It is expected that the successful candidate will participate in research and other activities that are relevant to the research group’s scientific profile in STS, and to take an active part in the activities of the Centre.
Requirements, Desired Qualifications and Personal Skills
The successful candidate must have following requirements:
- Ph.D. within STS or related fields
- In-depth theoretical knowledge of and empirical work within STS; strong documented research competence within this field, particularly within the past five years
- Documented pedagogical skills and an ability to take active part in teaching, academic leadership and administration
- Leadership skills, personal suitability and motivation for the position
The following qualifications will be given particular weight in the assessment:
- Strong academic qualifications and academic production in STS; where originality and innovative thinking in developing theories and methodologies will be given preference; strong record of international peer-reviewed publications (with emphasis on the past five years)
- Documented research competence and interests in areas that are relevant to the Centre’s core scientific profile in science, technology and culture
- Strong pedagogical qualifications on Ph.D. and master levels (including Ph.D.-supervision); ability to inspire students
- Collaborative skills and ability to initiate joint research projects; documented experience of collaboration across established academic disciplines, as well as an ability to build international networks
- Documented ability to acquire external research funding, particularly international funding
- Potential to contribute to the long-term development of the interdisciplinary academic and research environment at the Centre
- Communication skills, interpersonal skills and public outreach skills
In the assessment of the qualified candidates, all criteria listed above will be explicitly addressed and assessed. The quality and originality of published academic work, development potential, and breadth of intellectual/academic interest will be given priorities.
Teaching languages are both Norwegian and English. Good oral and written skills in English are required. Applicants who do not speak Norwegian, Swedish or Danish are required within two years to master Norwegian sufficiently to be able to participate actively in all the functions that the position entails, including administrative tasks. Applicants who do not have basic pedagogical competencies must acquire such within the two first years of employment.
Interviews will be part of the appointment process, along with a trial lecture.
- Associate Professor: salary according to pay grade 60-77 (NOK 510 100 – 711 800)
- Academically stimulating working environment
- Focus on working conditions for academic staff and researchers
- Good pension benefits under the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund scheme
- Good welfare benefits
The application should include:
- Application letter. The letter should include a short description of the applicant’s academic profile, how the applicant views his/her academic orientation in relation to the core areas of the TIK Centre and its STS-research group and how the applicant wishes to contribute to the development of TIK. The application must contain a short plan outlining what the applicant aims to achieve in the position.
- CV (complete list of education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience, project acquisition and coordination experience, and other qualifying activities)
- A complete list of publications. The applicant is requested to indicate (but not send, see below) up to five academic publications for particular consideration during the assessment process. Copies of these works must be made available on request.
- Copies of educational certificates
- A list of references
A selection committee will invite a limited number of candidates (“short list”) to submit a portfolio of academic work (i.e. up to five publications) that are particularly relevant for the position. Academic texts shall therefore not be enclosed with the application. In relation to larger volumes (monographs), the selected applicants should specify particular parts of the publication for review. The committee will then assess and rank the short-listed candidates as the basis for an appointment decision by the Social Science Faculty.
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for all employees for the purpose of securing intellectual property rights to research results etc.
According to the Norwegian Law “Offentlighetsloven §25.2 ledd”, information about the applicant can be published although the applicant has requested not to be included in the public list of applicants.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
- Job type:
- Working hours:
- Working days:
- Application deadline:
- 6 March 2016
- Reference number:
- Home page: